Renting Vs. Buying Your First Violin, Viola, or Cello
Ready to begin a musical adventure with your child? Exciting times await as you enter the world of stringed instruments. But first you must find a violin, viola or cello that fits your child’s size, abilities, and budget.
Don’t worry! Givens Violins is here to help. We understand the importance of choosing the right instrument for your child at each stage in their playing journey. One major decision is whether to rent or buy when it comes to acquiring a violin, viola or cello for your young musician. We’ve summarized the pros and cons of renting and buying so you can make an informed choice. When you are ready to purchase your first instrument and bow, Givens Violins looks forward to helping you.
Good Reasons to Rent a String Instrument
- Try Before You Buy: Renting is a low-commitment option for a first-time player to try out the violin, viola, or cello. It might turn out that one type of instrument is not quite the right fit, but another could be the answer. For example, if playing the violin is not for you, you might consider trying the cello. Renting a stringed instrument allows beginners to determine whether they like it before making a bigger commitment. By renting on a month-to-month, quarterly or semester basis, there can be less stress if a student loses interest in music or outside circumstances interfere with their ability to continue their music education.
- Budgeting Advantage: Renting an instrument can be much easier on your monthly cash flow than purchasing outright. In the short term, the cost of renting an instrument can be easier to manage than the cost of purchasing an instrument.
- Maintenance and Repair: Most rental companies offer maintenance and repair services as a part of their rental packages, saving you time and money if something goes wrong with your instrument or bow and on routine maintenance.
- Rent-to-Own: Some shops will apply rental payments towards the purchase of your first instrument. These programs usually have a cap on accrual, so renting for a long time will not necessarily be cost-effective in the long term. However, if you have been renting for a short while, you can credit some of those expenses towards your first purchase.
- Accessibility: Renting a stringed instrument can make learning to play an instrument easier for those who may not have access to an instrument otherwise, such as those living in rural areas or those who cannot afford to buy one upfront.
Disadvantages of Renting a String Instrument:
- Lower quality: Many rental or rent-to-own instruments are of lower quality with limited trade values.
- Slower progress: Long-term use of a lower quality instrument may inhibit a student’s development.
- Long-term expense: Renting an instrument and bow for a long period eventually becomes more expensive than purchasing a quality instrument and bow.
Advantages of Purchasing a Stringed Instrument
- Improved Performance and Faster Progress: A purchased instrument from a reputable shop that is selective in its inventory will usually be a superior instrument, even at the entry level. A better-quality instrument will have improved sound quality and response, which will aid a player in their progress in their lessons and increase their ease and enjoyment of playing.
- Cost Savings: While renting in the short term may feel more economical, paying rent over time will eventually become a greater long-term expense than purchasing an instrument.
- Build Equity: Buying a string instrument allows you to build equity in the item over time. This makes it easier to trade your instrument toward the next size or level as you progress. Check out the trade-in policy of the shop you are purchasing from.
- Build A Relationship: When you purchase a violin, viola or cello, you will develop a relationship with that shop and their workshop as you bring your instrument in for maintenance or need a step up in quality or size. Having a relationship with a workshop, who is familiar with you and your instrument will provide the support your player needs to sound their best.
Givens Violins’ Recommendation:
We understand that for families of beginner violin, viola, or cello players, a rental instrument might be a good option to get started. However, once your child’s dedication to music and their playing has been acknowledged and is supported by you and your child’s teacher, and you are ready to commit more fully to your child’s musical education, it’s time to think about purchasing an instrument if you haven’t done so already. By purchasing an instrument, you will save money in the long run. Your child will easily unlock greater sound and response in their instrument and progress. Finally, by building a life-long relationship with a workshop, you will make it possible for your young musician to enjoy playing for years to come, with options for trading in the instrument and bow for the next level instrument as they grow and mature.
Why Choose Givens Violins For Your Child’s First Instrument Purchase?
At Givens Violins, we are committed to providing the best and highest-quality service for your instrument and bow needs.
- Fractional Instruments: We have a wide selection of small violins, violas, cellos and bows for young players, from 1/10 to 3/4 size. Check out our fractional inventory here.
- Quality Control: Givens Violins carefully selects our inventory of fractional and full-size instruments and bows to meet our specifications. Our workshop professionally sets up each instrument we sell.
- Workshop: Givens Violins’ workshop, led by Douglas Lay since 1986, is highly renowned and known for its technical experience, discerning ears, communication and commitment to our customers.
- Trade-in Policy: We have a 100% trade-in policy and an endless upgrade path for the developing player.
- Trial Period: When trialing an instrument or bow we offer up to a week for you to test and show them to your teacher.
- Shipping: If you cannot visit Givens Violins in Minneapolis, we offer free outgoing shipping for your trial period.
- Flexible financing: We offer flexible financing for our customers to help make in-store purchases of instruments and bows affordable and convenient. We can offer 0% and extended financing, allowing you to spread out your payments.
When you decide to purchase an instrument from Givens Violins, we will provide a free initial insurance appraisal for your instrument and bow. We also offer free checkups and have a Limited Warranty on instruments and bows purchased from our shop. https://www.givensviolins.com/services/warranty/
Givens Violins: Your Trusted Partner in Stringed Instruments
Located in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Givens Violins is your go-to for all things related to stringed instruments in Minnesota, the Midwest, and the U.S.A. We provide high-quality violins, violas, and cellos for new students and seasoned maestros. Our inventory ranges from 1/10 to full-size instruments, ensuring a perfect fit for every player. We pride ourselves on our meticulous selection and professional setup of each instrument, ensuring you receive only the best. Benefitting from a renowned workshop, we offer unparalleled technical expertise and a commitment to customer satisfaction. At Givens Violins, we also believe in making quality musical instruments accessible and affordable. With our flexible financing and 100% trade-in policy, we make upgrading or trading your instrument seamless and convenient. We don’t offer rentals but have a unique Rental Rebate Program. We are more than an instrument store; we forge lifelong relationships with musicians, providing continuous support for their musical journey. Choose Givens Violins for unmatched quality, service, and commitment to enriching your musical experience.